How To Get Rid Of Scratches On a Phone Case•
Posted on November 04 2023
We've all been there – you proudly show off your new phone case, only to notice unsightly scratches and scuffs marring its once-pristine surface. The good news is that these blemishes don't have to be a permanent eyesore. In this blog, we'll explore some effective methods for removing scratches from your phone case and restoring it to its former glory.
Identify the Material of Your Phone Case
Before you begin any scratch removal process, it's essential to know what material your phone case is made of. Common phone case materials include plastic, silicone, leather, and metal. Different materials may require different methods, so knowing the type of case you have is crucial.
Light Scratches: Eraser or Toothpaste
For light scratches that have not penetrated the material deeply, you can try some simple at-home remedies:
- Pencil Eraser: Gently rub a clean eraser over the scratches. The friction can often make superficial scratches less visible.
- Toothpaste: Apply a small amount of toothpaste (not gel) to a soft, damp cloth or a cotton ball. Rub the toothpaste into the scratches in a circular motion. Wipe away the excess toothpaste with a clean, damp cloth.
Deeper Scratches: Baking Soda and Water
For deeper scratches that are more visible, a mixture of baking soda and water can be effective:
- Create a paste by mixing baking soda with water until it forms a thick, consistent texture.
- Apply the paste to the scratches and gently rub in a circular motion with a soft cloth.
- Wipe off any excess paste with a clean, damp cloth.
Plastic Phone Cases: Heat Gun or Olive Oil
For plastic phone cases, you can try the following methods:
- Heat Gun: Use a heat gun or a hair dryer on a low setting to warm the scratched area. As the plastic softens, gently press it with your fingers to smooth out the scratches. Be careful not to overheat or melt the case.
- Olive Oil: Apply a small amount of olive oil to a cloth and rub it over the scratched area. The oil can help fill in minor scratches and restore the case's appearance.
Leather Phone Cases: Leather Conditioner
Leather phone cases require special care:
- Apply a leather conditioner to the scratched area. Gently massage the conditioner into the leather using a soft cloth.
- Allow the conditioner to sit for a few hours or as per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Wipe off any excess conditioner and buff the leather for a smooth finish.
Prevention is Key
To keep your phone case looking its best, consider these preventative measures:
- Use a screen protector on your phone to prevent contact between the screen and the case.
- Avoid placing your phone in the same pocket or bag with sharp objects, like keys and coins.
- Regularly clean your phone case to remove dirt and debris that can cause minor scratches over time.
Scratches on your phone case may be inevitable, but they don't have to be permanent. With the right techniques and a bit of patience, you can restore your phone case to its original shine. Remember to identify the material of your case and choose the appropriate method for scratch removal. And as a rule of thumb, prevention is the best strategy, so take care of your phone case to keep it looking brand new for as long as possible. However if you are looking for a new case click here for cases by SoManyCases.